Sample Thunderbird UI redesign

Walter L Schwartz schw01 at verizon.net
Fri Dec 2 03:29:38 UTC 2016

On 12/01/2016 07:18 PM, Chris Ilias wrote:
> On 2016-11-17 3:12 PM, Dave Koelmeyer wrote:
>> Interesting post:
>>
>> http://monterail.com/blog/2016/the-power-of-email-clients-why-did-we-redesign-thunderbird/
>>

> Has the discussion died down? Now all of you are going to hate me for
> continuing it. :)
>
> First, I think it's great that people are thinking about Thunderbird
> UX, even if it's just aesthetic.
> Even if many of us have no issues with the design, I'd be interested
> to know which version of TB each of you started on. There have been
> significant changes, and many of us have just gotten used to things
> that may not be as intuitive in later versions. For instance:
> Here's a screenshot of TB1.5: http://ilias.ca/screenshots/tb15-theme.png
> Here's a screenshot of TB45: http://ilias.ca/screenshots/tb45.png
>
> When I started using TB, it had a menu bar by default. The menu bar
> was replaced with a menu button. I suppose I would have assumed the
> button at the end of the toolbar was the path to all those commands.
> The addition of a calendar pushed the menu button away from the edge
> of the window, and I don't think I would interpret it as a menu button
> anymore. It's in the middle of nowhere and looks like a big grippy.
> Maybe extend the toolbar across the window?
> Change the icon to something like a gear?
> Move the menu button up in the tab bar? I don’t know about anyone
> else, but I rarely have more than one TB tab open anyway.

Did you know you can use Customize to move the menu button up into the
tab bar, menu bar or all the way down to the other end of the mail toolbar?

I have Mail and Calendar tabs always open, Chat and read some messages
in tabs other times.

> If I'm a new user, and I've just set up an account using the wizard
> that pops up on first install, what are the next actions?
> get new messages
> * view message list
> * view message content
> * view other folders
> * reply to a message
> * write a new message
> * add a signature
> * create additional account?
> * set up filters
>
> Looking at the TB45 screenshot, how intuitive are each of those tasks?
> Would you know where to go to set up a signature, set up filters, or
> create an additional account?
>
> By discussing the logic of the layout and common use-cases, I think we
> can come across some low hanging fruit, and get more people interested
> in contributing to TB.
>
> I'm also kinda lost regarding who Thunderbird is for. It does email,
> newsgroups, RSS feeds, address book, Calendar, to-do list, IRC,
> Jabber, and other messaging, but no central place to launch those
> components, like in SeaMonkey.
>
> Here's another one: Why do we have a menu item to create "Other
> accounts", when it only offers one account type?
> http://ilias.ca/screenshots/tb45-otheraccount.png

Well, all the other accounts have their own menu items. The "Other
accounts" menu item offers Movemail and Newsgroups on Linux, only
Newsgroups on Windows.

> Interestingly, that TB1.5 screenshot was from a blog post I did about
> not liking the TB2 theme. :)
> http://ilias.ca/blog/2006/11/i-dont-like-the-new-thunderbird-theme/

I liked the Folder pane background in the UI redesign, but it was only
for Windows. How would it look on Linux and Mac?