Covered Code for Postbox

Ehsan Akhgari ehsan.akhgari at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 20:19:02 UTC 2016

On 2016-11-30 2:38 PM, Jim Porter wrote:
> On 11/30/2016 09:50 AM, Gervase Markham wrote:
>> Recalling that the lack of it was mentioned on this list, following a
>> polite email in their direction, the Covered Code for Postbox 5.0.8 is
>> now available from:
>> https://www.postbox-inc.com/coveredcode
>
> I haven't had the chance to look at this in detail yet, but would this
> give us a multi-line XUL tree that we could import into Thunderbird? We
> might have to think about how to import it, given that m-c devs probably
> won't accept a patch to add new XUL features, but maybe we could make a
> copy of the interface in c-c?

FWIW adding new XUL elements that are implemented outside of
mozilla-central is usually as simple as putting the .xml file containing
the XBL binding somewhere reachable under a chrome:// URI and using CSS
to apply the corresponding -moz-binding property to your desired tag
name (you can invent new ones!).  <xul:tree> however is one of the few
XUL controls which, even though it has an XBL based implementation in
tree.xml, has a lot of C++ implementation backing it too.  If they have
made changes to the C++ part (which is plausible as the layout of the
control is done in C++) then things are much harder to hook up outside
of m-c.