Magnus is now Chair of the Thunderbird Council

R Kent James kent at caspia.com
Tue Aug 2 19:09:12 UTC 2016

On Monday, August 1 Magnus Melin took over from me as Chair of the
Thunderbird Council. The Council has agreed he will serve an initial one
year term.

The role of the Chair is at the minimum the person who represents the
decisions of the Council and the Thunderbird project to the world, which
frequently means that he leads and brings to a resolution discussions
among the Council, or among the project as a whole. (That does not mean
that everything he says has been subject to a Council vote, in many
cases the Chair can reasonably predict what the Council would agree to
and speak for the project.)

Beyond that, the role of the Chair is not specifically defined. We have
discussed, but never really came to a firm conclusion, about whether the
Chair serves as a kind of "Executive Director" for the Thunderbird
project. Personally I always felt that tension. I felt responsible for
the overall success of Thunderbird, including looking forward some years
in the future, but did not really feel that the Executive Director role
was clearly agreed among others. I hope that we ultimately back Magnus
in however he decides to define the role.

As for myself, I have taken on a new role as the Treasurer. In that role
I represent the decisions of the Council and Chair concerning financial
issues, including serving as the financial representative to the Mozilla
Foundation.

Best wishes Magnus as you take on this responsibility!

R Kent James
(former) Chair of the Thunderbird Council