Help decide the UI for the Correspondents columns

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Sat Apr 30 08:18:41 UTC 2016

On 29/04/16 23:44, Axel Grude wrote:
> the thing is the name never shows the sender if it is "Me". In that
> sense it is incomplete if we have a pair of arrows (one left one right)
> and the right one is fat and the left one thin - or something along
> those lines the point it to emphasize the one that is sent by "Me".

Why not have a correspondents column which says that? Perhaps that would
reduce confusion?

Me -> richard.marti at example.com

and

Me <- richard.marti at example.com
or
richard.marti at example.com -> Me

In the latter case, the two types of arrow would be in the same
direction, so they would be different colours, and/or at slightly
different angles - the one from Me -> richard could be slightly
downward-pointing, and the one from richard -> Me could be slightly
upward-pointing.

In any case, I am absolutely certain that _voting_ is a really bad way
to decide UI. Mozilla discovered this 15 years ago when we had a vote on
what the throbber (remember that?) should be.

Gerv