Help decide the UI for the Correspondents columns

Calum Mackay calum.mackay at cdmnet.org
Fri Apr 29 20:03:28 UTC 2016

On 29/04/2016 7:59 pm, Jim wrote:
> The right and up arrows mean "outgoing message", and the left and down
> arrows mean "incoming message".

It seems very misleading to have a right arrow mean outgoing, when the
right arrow is on the left of, and pointing towards, the name.

so you're suggesting an arrow pointing *to* the name means an outgoing
message? that seems wrong.

or have I (also) got confused?

===

If that is what you meant, you should perhaps also include a fourth
case, which has left-right arrows, but where the arrows direction
respective to the name corresponds to in and out.

i.e. an arrow pointing to the name means incoming.

===

As it is, I fear your poll is (accidentally) conflating two different
issues:

- which glyphs to use (which was perhaps your intention?)

- whether left/right glyphs should point towards the name for incoming
(my preference of the two, but not shown in your poll) or for outgoing
(as option 1)

===

Finally, the confusion shown here in this thread should be an indicator
that perhaps we're on the wrong track :)

thanks,
calum.