Changes to Tree Hg Hooks

Patrick Cloke patrick at cloke.us
Fri Apr 29 18:58:59 UTC 2016

On 4/29/16 2:37 PM, R Kent James wrote:

> On 4/29/2016 8:46 AM, Patrick Cloke wrote:
>> There's actually a third: Additional Chat Protocols for Thunderbird
>>
>> We've discussed ways to convert this too, but don't really have the time
>> nor inclination to do it. This extension has been extremely difficult to
>> keep working anyway.
> The reality has been for at least a year, that if you have a binary
> extension you better be actively engaging with Thunderbird leadership.
> All of the known binary addons are doing that, and are well aware of the
> issues.
Yep! I haven't actively talked about this, but Florian and I discussed
it heavily and I proposed it as a project somewhere...
> Patrick if you have any ideas on things we can do to keep that addon
> running, of course we are open to listening.
Pretty much building it is a huge pain. I can try to get around to it
for TB 45, but TB 38 took a HUGE amount of time and then we got a bunch
of bad reviews since it didn't run on some people's machines, which is
pretty demotivating. I don't think it's anything in particular to do
with Thunderbird and more that using tryserver isn't fun. :) You can
check out the directions at
https://wiki.mozilla.org/User:Florian/building_purplexpcom_for_Thunderbird#For_Thunderbird_38
if anyone is interested.
> Disabling of binary addons
> is not something I've chosen to do for TB 52, but is just recognizing
> reality. Firefox folks would probably say we are crazy for trying to
> keep binary addons usable in TB 45.
Yes, I understand. Sorry if I misconstrued this earlier! I agree that
anything beyond 45 is untenable.

--Patrick