How to handle addon failures in TB 45.0

Matt Harris unicorn.consulting at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 01:47:26 UTC 2016

On 29/04/2016 5:22 AM, R Kent James wrote:
> Our managing of addon updates is fairly problematic now in Thunderbird,
> as we rely on authors to test and update addons, but assume that addons
> are compatible by default. This results in a number of addons that break
> TB when installed on update.
>
> Rather than just mark these as "not our problem" I suggest instead that
> we collect names and versions of addons that are known to break core
> Thunderbird functionality, and use a blocklist update to block these. I
> would not do that for addons whose functionality breaks, only when the
> addon breaks seemingly unrelated core functionality.

/All good Kent,  but who is the arbiter.  I am regularly advised by
users that following a safe mode start they have narrowed it down to say
lightning.  Do we take their word for it.  A read of the reviews on AMO
makes it obvious we can not rely on users to be able to identify
anything.  So do we set up a testing process? File a Bug? and wait for
someone to verify it?  In a week or two most issues disappear as the
add-on author gets their new version through AMO review and the auto
update takes over.

It is not pretty and it does not account for the abandonware that
litters AMO.  It is not all that long ago that I saw folks explaining in
Support how to install MailTweak and counseling that some features did
not work,  but remove local folders did still function.  That has not
been updated since Version 3 and is a disaster in the making.

I am all for the idea,  but I don't know how to make it work

Matt
/