Changes to review policy

JoeS joesab2005 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 21:36:21 UTC 2016

On 4/28/2016 3:34 PM, Jim Porter wrote:
> On 04/28/2016 02:07 PM, Tanstaafl wrote:
>> I can't remember the exact version, but I think it was one of the minor
>> releases after v3... but, it was when someone decided it was a good idea to:
>>
>> a) enable GLODA globally for all IMAP accounts
>> and
>> b) ignore any/all users carefully selected per-folder offline settings
>> and unilaterally set them all to full offline mode.
>
> That was 3.0, and as I recall, we actually had a migration wizard at the
> time that let users control which of their accounts/folders were synced
> with offline mode. I see there was a bug at the time where disabling the
> migration wizard resulted in everything getting set to offline mode.
> Maybe that's what happened to you?
>
> In any case, I think the old migration wizard is a great way to handle
> big changes like this: it lets us suggest good defaults to the user
> while helping them stay in control.
>
> - Jim

I think the migration wizard came in 3.1 or 3.2 as response to a huge
outcry when many (at least 3 or 4 features were enabled by default.The
biggest was the new message reader window, which was never included in a
migration option and the reason that the compact header addon is so
widely used today. Perhaps such an addon will be necessary now , to
assist some of the 1.5 million users that have already updated to tb45 I
think this change is not nearly so invasive as some in the past. At
least a quick bandaid is available by simply selecting the "from" column
to be displayed. (Not adequate for users with complex folder structures,
but should be fine for the average user.

JoeS1