How to handle addon failures in TB 45.0

R Kent James kent at caspia.com
Thu Apr 28 19:52:42 UTC 2016

Our managing of addon updates is fairly problematic now in Thunderbird,
as we rely on authors to test and update addons, but assume that addons
are compatible by default. This results in a number of addons that break
TB when installed on update.

Rather than just mark these as "not our problem" I suggest instead that
we collect names and versions of addons that are known to break core
Thunderbird functionality, and use a blocklist update to block these. I
would not do that for addons whose functionality breaks, only when the
addon breaks seemingly unrelated core functionality.

:rkent