Thunderbird Blog Entry

ISHIKAWA,chiaki ishikawa at yk.rim.or.jp
Fri Apr 22 21:36:20 UTC 2016

I am adding a short comment "Asian Crisis". See inline.

On 2016/04/22 4:54, Jörg Knobloch wrote:
> On 21/04/2016 21:37, Axel Grude wrote:
>>
>> Could Kent or somebody from the Tb-Planning team put these items into
>> "End-user-consumption" ready paragraphs? I would find it difficult to
>> summarize as I am not doing much other than following the bugs and
>> maybe add 2 cents of comment.
>>
>> A short paragraph on the "Asian crisis"would be a great thing, I want
>> to accumulate some good will before Thunderbird attempts any
>> fundraisers. If we do not market the (free as in beer) service the
>> Thunderbird community provides to the End-Users then it won't be
>> recognized and that cuts us off from potential future funding.
>>
>>> Also notable is that TB 45.1 will ship with IcalJS, a JS replacement
>>> of the old C++ calendar. This is a big step forward for the future
>>> of TB. BTW, I switched to IcalJS recently and haven't seen a problem
>>> yet.
>> Again, how would you explain this to an end-user? They see the
>> Lightning plugin as the front-end, how is that affected?
>
> This is really hard to do without having seen the text of the article
> first.
>
> Surely you won't go over the new features since they are covered
> elsewhere, or just pick a few highlight.
>
> I think the article should talk about the background (unpaid
> volunteers), the possible separation from the Mozilla and that despite
> all odds a bright and shine TB 45 was released. Something similar to
> the "Thunderbird 38 Released" blog article.
>
> About the "Asian crisis" you could write: Since after Germany Japan
> has the second largest user group, the new release of Thunderbird
> addresses various problems in the composition of email written in
> Asian languages, like Japanese, Korean and Chinese. After many years
> of complaints, Thunderbird will now serve theses users as well as it
> serves others.

Among the many fixes (thank you, Jorg and many others), TB had a
tendency to insert unintended BLANK/space characters in a seemingly
random manner in the main text of message when one composes CJK message.
This was BAD. Chinese, Japanese and Korean sentences are written usually
without any spaces (exceptions for places where Western language words
or numbers that crop up in academic research papers, engineering papers,
etc.).
[Example of a Japanese text, the current constitution can be seen
at http://law.e-gov.go.jp/htmldata/S21/S21KE000.html
Except for the spaces after the heading or the beginning of a line for
indentation purposes, there is no space WITHIN a sentence.]

So a random space here and there was annoying and looked very
unprofessional when it occurs in business correspondence. This was fixed
in TB 45.

Thank you!