Thunderbird Blog Entry

R Kent James kent at caspia.com
Fri Apr 22 17:49:40 UTC 2016

On 4/22/2016 1:33 AM, Aceman wrote:
> I think it is more that JS code in Lightning does not need to be recompiled for future versions of TB. Binary addons need to be recompiled for every new releases even if no code changed in the addon. But UUIDs and interfaces may have slightly changed in the base application which need to be picked up by the recompilation.
Not only that, but binary addons are officially unsupported in Firefox
esr45, but were still supported (weakly) in Firefox esr38. Trying to
maintain that compatibility is very difficult in our parent
mozilla-esr45, but we expect that will be possible with effort. Our
current assumption is that we will no longer attempt to maintain
compatibility with binary addons in TB 52 and later. So the key users of
binary addons (Lightning, ExQuilla) are working to stop needing that
support.

:rkent