m.d.s.policy proposal to remove S/MIME support from Mozilla root certificates

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Wed Sep 23 13:17:15 UTC 2015

On 22/09/15 18:55, R Kent James wrote:
> The following discussion was initiated yesterday in the m.d.s.policy
> discussion group. As I understand it, if implemented this policy would
> effectively render S/MIME security unusable in Thunderbird unless we
> maintained our own formal program to validate and install root
> certificates for S/MIME security within Thunderbird.
>
> Brian Smith is advocating strongly to remove this support.

Are we certain S/MIME is still fully functional in Thunderbird? Brian
expressed some doubts about that.

He also raised the issue that the code seems not to be actively
maintained, citing a security bug which had gone unfixed and untriaged.

If the TB community is going to respond to him, it might be good to pick
up on these two points.

Gerv