Future Planning: Thunderbird as a Web App

Joshua Cranmer 🐧 pidgeot18 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 20:05:07 UTC 2015

On 9/18/2015 12:39 PM, Kent James wrote:
> LDAP is a great example of how thinking might change. I think we have
> discussed for years that LDAP code needs to convert to a standard,
> non-binary library in the long run. I think that we should resist the
> urge to try to adapt our existing C++-based library to support
> editing. But if you are interested in LDAP, we would really, really
> appreciate someone who would research available, license-compatible
> LDAP js libraries, and adapt our code to use that. Editing should be
> added in the context of that new library.

I've done this research before, and the results aren't great. Our best
hope for LDAP is using OpenLDAP, possibly via js-ctypes. ldap.js is
based on node's networking libraries (see my last message about the
variability of networking APIs), and it is missing some features that I
think we would be loath to regress (e.g., SASL GSSAPI support).

--
Joshua Cranmer
Thunderbird and DXR developer