Future Planning: Thunderbird as a Web App

Joshua Cranmer 🐧 pidgeot18 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 16:29:11 UTC 2015

On 9/17/2015 10:23 PM, Eric Moore wrote:
> One benefit of limiting Thunderbird to just js/html appears to be that
> we could share "maintenance work of "low-level" protocol code with
> Gaia email or other components". However, that is a two edged sword as
> in practice it could also mean that we'd have to constantly adapt to
> changes in the Mozilla platform.

In the time since I started working on JSMime in 2011, I have had to
make exactly one change to JSMime to adapt for something Mozilla did,
and that wasn't even a core aspect of the code (it was my use of XHR
sync for use in non-TB test environments). There's a few things I'd like
to change (namely using typed arrays instead of binary strings, since
typed arrays didn't exist when I started), but not because I have to. In
contrast, there have been dozens of small changes and fixes that we need
to handle using the XPCOM infrastructure. Moving to a more pure JS/web
tech-based approach would actually reduce that level of minor change
adaptation, since there is far more conservatism about breaking
web-exposed APIs than add-on-exposed/internal APIs.

--
Joshua Cranmer
Thunderbird and DXR developer