Future Planning: Thunderbird as a Web App

Benjamin Kerensa bkerensa at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 13:33:23 UTC 2015

Could always re-write Thunderbird from the ground up in React and have a
Desktop, Android and iOS app
all with a HTML5/JS front end.

:) That solves the issue with a desktop mail client becoming less and less
relevant as people continue
to migrate to mobile. This is a important issue as desktop is indeed dying
and continues on a downward spiral.

I do not think however a hosted web app Thunderbird sounds like a great
idea.

On Fri, Sep 18, 2015 at 5:55 AM, Mark Banner <mbanner at mozilla.com> wrote:

> On 18/09/2015 13:04, Gervase Markham wrote:
>
> To put it another way: Thunderbird seems to spend a lot of time and energy
> keeping up with the changes in mozilla-central. What value does it get in
> exchange for that?
>
> Here's my opinion, in no particular order, probably very incomplete:
>
>    - A reasonable HTML parser & display
>       - which also provides the options to integrate more things into
>       Thunderbird, like web pages e.g. what's new, or other things that add-on
>       gives
>       - Lower level protocol handling, certificates
>    - Security with the content vs chrome display of emails
>    - File handling routines (including download)
>    - Database handling (for the places we use sqlite)
>    - Content type handling
>    - General layout of the UI
>    - Crash reporting
>    - Telemetry
>    - Metrics
>    - Installers (windows)
>    - Update handling
>    - Connection handling, e.g. proxies, offline etc
>    - Add-ons
>    - Accessibility harnesses
>    - L10n
>    - Internationalization
>    - spell checking
>    - Graphics handling
>    - Test harnesses
>    - Developer tools
>    - Profile management
>    - Various widgets & things such as autocomplete
>    - Regular security updates and fixes to all of the above.
>
> I'll grant that there's nothing that couldn't be replaced, but there's
> quite a lot of core functionality there that you need in an application
> before you can start building out what it does.
>
> Mark.

Benjamin Kerensa