The Case for Thunderbird in Mozilla

R Kent James kent at caspia.com
Wed Sep 16 18:36:26 UTC 2015

I don't think it is fair to say that Mozilla tried to "block setting up
Thunderbird as self governing entity inside or outside of Mozilla".

They have other priorities, which is their right. They have tried to do
what is fair by Thunderbird users, in spite of the fact that Thunderbird
does not fit into their vision of where they want software development
to head. The volunteer community was slow to take command of the
project, and actually until recently we have deliberately avoiding
having this discussion about our role within Mozilla, because we did not
have a good answer ourselves of what we wanted to be. We have still not
finished articulating what we want to be or how we should get there (as
JB pointed out to me in a private email responding to this thread. My
recent post and discussion on email encryption was part of the process
of developing consensus on where we should be headed.)

Brand image is really important to Mozilla, really it is their only hope
long-term of competing with behemoths like Google Chrome, and now
Microsoft Edge. Hence all of the discussion about "radical
participation" as goals. Just as we are trying to get Mozilla to commit
to us, a reasonable expectation of Mozilla is that we commit to them. If
we remain firmly under the Mozilla umbrella, which I hope it is clear is
my (and the Thunderbird Council's) belief of what is in the best
interest of our users,  we also need to promote the Mozilla brand and
mission.

:rkent