The Case for Thunderbird in Mozilla

R Kent James kent at caspia.com
Wed Sep 16 17:43:29 UTC 2015

On 9/16/2015 8:03 AM, Patrick Cloke wrote:
>> Thunderbird remains the largest open-source email project in
>> >existence, with a total userbase that is larger than some of the
>> >projects that Mozilla considers part of its core mission.
> I think rkent has access to some of these numbers, we should cite that
> here (i.e. we're not just making up numbers). Comparing directly to
> other Mozilla projects might be a bit aggressive, however.

Yes Mozilla graciously added a Thunderbird usage page to the dataviz app
that tracks app ADI (which is the daily hits to the blocklist download)
and gave me access. Our usage is recovering now from the summer
doldrums, back in the 9+ million ADI range, which puts us at an
estimated active user range of 20 - 25 million. (ADI is a peak daily
usage number with some users missing, so a factor of 2.5 to 3 is usually
used to get to active users, with some actual data to back that up).

It's unfortunate that the data from other Mozilla applications is also
not publicly available, as then we could all work from the same set of
facts.  But let me say what I can. Three years after Mozilla announces
what was widely perceived and understood as "Thunderbird is dead", after
three years of virtually no marketing (including slowly removing links
to Thunderbird from Mozilla websites), and three years of technical
neglect, it is truly astounding that Thunderbird usage continues strong,
both in absolute numbers and in comparison to other Mozilla products. We
do not approach this discussion about our status from a position of a
dying project looking for salvation, but from the perspective of a
product that has held up much, much better than anybody expected three
years ago. That should really make anybody with an open mind question
their assumptions about what is and is not important to the internet.

:rkent