The Case for Thunderbird in Mozilla

Tanstaafl tanstaafl at libertytrek.org
Wed Sep 16 16:34:27 UTC 2015

On 9/15/2015 10:07 PM, Joshua Cranmer 🐧 <pidgeot18 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Finally, it is worth noting that Thunderbird is a popular program among
> the wider tech community, and many in that community believe the
> discontinuation of paid staff on the project to have been a mistake on
> the part of Mozilla. Announcing the continued support of Thunderbird
> would thus be a PR boon and would only help improve public trust in
> Mozilla's ability to achieve its goals of the open web. [Editorial note:
> this paragraph is basically an attempt to politely say "Loop and Pocket
> were received poorly; this is an easy way to get very good reaction from
> the community to counteract that while doing almost nothing." Better
> wordsmithing is probably needed.]

I was going to write something as well, but Joshua and others have said
everything that I would have said, but I wanted to give a +1000 to this
last comment of Joshuas.

It would show both wisdom and humility if Mozilla were to admit that
defunding Thunderbird was a mistake, and start assigning some real
developer resources back to it. I can't think of anything that would go
further to restore my own personal confidence in Mozilla, at least.

As to Loop and Pocket being received poorly, I couldn't agree more, but
I was also extremely peeved at Mozilla nonchalantly changing my default
Search Engine to Yahoo without any warning or notification at all. It
really was funny/ironic to see Mozilla then complaining about Microsoft
doing the same thing with the Windows 10 update switching the users
primary browser to Edge.

Anyway - while I won't hold my breath, I just cannot see how Mozilla can
still argue with a straight face that Thunderbird isn't deserving of a
real home in the Mozilla family, as opposed to just treating us as 'the
thing that wouldn't leave'...