The Case for Thunderbird in Mozilla

Sean M. Pappalardo spappalardo at renegadetech.com
Tue Sep 15 22:53:57 UTC 2015

On 09/15/2015 01:30 PM, R Kent James wrote:
> What I would appreciate at this point are comments on what are the
> reasons that Mozilla should accept Thunderbird as an official project,
> presumably under the Mozilla Foundation, that provides us with the
> structure that we need to succeed. Please help me make The Case for
> Thunderbird in Mozilla.

Echoing much of what's in the blog post someone linked to earlier, the
reasons I would pitch to Mozilla:

- Thunderbird is also about a free and open Internet (not just Web) with
user privacy, choice and control as core values, so already aligned with
Mozilla's reason for existence
- The already-existing related branding can only help both products gain
market awareness
- The shared Gecko and extension frameworks allow more eyes on Firefox's
mission-critical code
- Collaboration features Thunderbird + Lightning already has (and will
have in the future with a new CardDAV-enabled address book) are
essential for FirefoxOS to meet users' current needs (to compete with
iOS,) and the combination of the two would put it in Blackberry feature
territory. No sense reinventing those particular wheels. (Imagine the PR
value of overtaking Blackberry (and Android for non-Google services) as
the OS of choice for business-class mobile devices. Imagine cutting a
deal with Blackberry to supply the OS for their already world-class
hardware. FFOS needs Thunderbird packed in to have a shot at that.)
- Once that integration is done, then new features will simultaneously
benefit desktop and FFOS mobile users, something no vendor other than
Microsoft can offer (and that's assuming Win10 gets installed
everywhere,) and they're still in early stages too. Mozilla has a real
shot at cracking this before Microsoft does IF it builds on the
already-done and well-proven work Thunderbird brings to the table.

I wonder how these last two will grab them? :)

Sincerely,
Sean M. Pappalardo
Sr. Networks Engineer
Renegade Technologies
spappalardo at renegadetech.com
Office: (630) 631-6188
http://www.renegadetech.com

--
This communication, along with any documents, files or attachments, is
intended only for the use of the addressee and may contain confidential