The Case for Thunderbird in Mozilla

Volker Birk vb at pep-project.org
Tue Sep 15 21:09:42 UTC 2015

On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 01:30:15PM -0700, R Kent James wrote:
> We have the ability to manage that, but we don't have a financial and
> legal home that provides us the structure to move forward. It is time
> to move forward with our donation campaign and other fund-raising
> initiatives, yet we have no current structure under Mozilla to do
> that.

Thank you for your clear statement! I want to add here:

For p≡p Thunderbird is a strategic platform. And that means, we can
offer at least a stable financial platform, and are willing to support
Thunderbird with the needed infrastructure.

p≡p has no interest in taking Thunderbird from anyone. We see ourselves
as helpers here, who support with the missing pieces: with the needed
financing, with the needed infrastructure, with the needed backoffice
services. Thunderbird is still open to go where you think would be best.
The interest of p≡p is to stabilize Thunderbird as a needed platform.

If I may add this in my personal view: if Mozilla decide that
Thunderbird will not fit in their future strategy, I would suggest that
Thunderbird is heading for The Document Foundation. Because this
foundation can really be a new home. If Thunderbird decide to move
there, p≡p will support the transition at least in the mentioned ways.

p≡p will not take sides (we never do). If Thunderbird will decide other,
we will help as far as we can anyways.

Yours,
VB.
--