size of the Thunderbird codebase

Aceman acelists at atlas.sk
Mon Sep 14 10:55:22 UTC 2015

Hi.
I found this comment on LWN interesting: http://lwn.net/Articles/656572/

It compares size of codebase (in source lines of code) of all packages in the Debian database.

>From the comment:

The top-ten (not counting different versions of the same packages) is like this (format is sloc|package|version):

15331031|chromium-browser|43.0.2357.65-1~deb8u1
13726566|linux|4.2~rc8-1~exp1
9256058|mono|4.0.2.5+dfsg-2
7273446|icedove|40.0~b1-1
6900913|iceweasel|40.0.3-3
5923212|netbeans|8.0.2+dfsg1-4
5768171|aspectc++|1:1.2+svn20150823-1
5551762|aces3|3.0.8-4
5483128|libreoffice|1:3.5.4+dfsg2-0+deb7u2
5482310|nvidia-cuda-toolkit|6.0.37-5

Notice "icedove", the Debian branded Thunderbird. So comparing the total size of the package we need to use to build TB, we are quite big. Of course if we only count difference to iceweasel (Firefox), it is "just" 370 000 SLOC (they probably count Seamonkey specific parts too).

I find it surprising e.g. Libreoffice codebase is smaller than Firefox.

aceman