atom/electron as a development environment for a post-Gecko

neandr neandr at gmx.de
Wed Oct 21 09:40:45 UTC 2015

Hi Kent,

let me comment your point with the last
/thunderbird-status-meeting-minute-taking
> * Investigated Github atom/electron as a development environment for a
> post-Gecko Thunderbird. It would be really good to have some partners
> in long-term work for Thunderbird. Gecko Thunderbird is dying, is
> there any debate about that?
Also it's more than a valid idea to start a discussion about a good dev
platform for a future TB, is there a discussion about the impact of the
massive code base change (Gecko, XUL, more ..)? Think it will not be
possible to replace parts only of that a very complex, huge software
system TB. Isn't there the need to eventually re-model it?

FMPOV the same will be true for Firefox also. So is there a concept to
share it within the "Mozilla House"? Wouldn't this predetermine the
future software *and* (maybe also the) development base for TB also?

As an add-on developer for FX/TB I was very much struggling with the dev
documentation*s*. So "re-starting" Thunderbird would be a great change
to get a better base for modelling/development/documentation.

With your question:
> is there any debate about that?
Guenter