Thunderbird Standards Involvement (Was: ICANN Dublin meeting - can you attend?)

Joshua Cranmer 🐧 pidgeot18 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 19:05:45 UTC 2015

On 10/8/2015 11:13 AM, Patrick Cloke wrote:
> On 10/6/15 8:06 PM, R. Kent James wrote:
>> One of the goals that I have for Thunderbird is to be more engaged
>> with open and public internet standards. That would include not only
>> email protocols such as IMAP, but also related standards such as the
>> domain name system that ICANN represents. It we are going to take
>> seriously the role of being a promoter of open standards, then we
>> need to be engaged with the communities that develop those standards.
>> ICANN is one of those.
>>
>> :rkent
> This caught my eye a bit and I was wondering if there's a list of
> bodies we *are* involved in. Off the top of my head:
>
> * I think Joshua has offered opinions on a variety of mailing lists.
> * There was work with Google by Kent/Joshua about the OAuth
> implementation.

I actually haven't participated (or even subscribed to any!) in any of
the IETF mailing lists to useful detail, although I do read the archives
from time to time. Most of the active working groups are on topics that
I'm not particularly qualified to comment on (IMAP, DMARC, DANE, e.g.),
although I do follow them from time to time to keep abreast of changes.

Come to think of it, I did sign up for a W3C interest group on
HTML-in-email, but that group has been moribund for a year (and it
doesn't bode well that some of the members expressed surprise at basic
terminology like "MUA").

--
Joshua Cranmer
Thunderbird and DXR developer