Thunderbird and Mozilla (tl;dr - Yes!)

R Kent James kent at caspia.com
Mon Oct 5 19:39:20 UTC 2015

We've had a lot of discussions within the Thunderbird community about
our need for a long-term legal and financial home. Even while I have
investigated other options, most of us really preferred to stay with
Mozilla if possible.

In the last couple of weeks, I've had some significant conversations
with Mark Surman (Executive Director of the Mozilla Foundation) about
the possibility of establishing Thunderbird as a project under MoFo. I'm
pleased to report that it looks like this is going to move forward. That
will mean Thunderbird will have a financial home within MoFo where we
can receive contributions, and manage Thunderbird project expenses. Mark
is also seriously looking at getting MoFo staff assistance in putting
together an end-of-year donation campaign for Thunderbird, using our
in-product start page, as we have discussed for the last year or so.
He's also looking at establishing a point person within Mozilla
(possibly in the participation team) that will have responsibility for
looking out for Thunderbird interests in Mozilla.

It's not a done deal yet, but it looks highly probable that it will
happen. We're planning to get together in Toronto at the end of October
to discuss more details.

Overall, I'm delighted, and looking forward to a long-term, vibrant
future for the Thunderbird project under the Mozilla umbrella.

:rkent