Reorganizing the Council

Gervase Markham gerv at mozilla.org
Fri Nov 13 10:47:15 UTC 2015

On 12/11/15 19:59, Benjamin Kerensa wrote:
> My feedback is that I believe the incoming council made a commitment
> iirc I haven't actually reviewed the mailing list but made a commitment
> to regular selections. It would not be very healthy for a sitting
> council to decide whether it could discard that commitment that should
> be left to the community to decide.

This should certainly be looked into; promises are important.

> I'm of the opinion in open source projects that governance councils
> should be one or two year terms and have a limit of two terms.
>
> Gnome, Fedora and many other projects have one year terms to keep their
> leadership dynamic.

They probably have a larger pool of people from which to select, though.
I don't get the impression that there are large numbers of people
beating down the door to be in leadership in the Thunderbird project.
Requiring people to stop leading just because they've done a certain
amount of time is dangerous if your pool is too small, as it affects the
overall quality and experience of the leadership team.

Gerv