Reorganizing the Council

Benjamin Kerensa bkerensa at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 23:36:12 UTC 2015

Hi Joe,

I agree with your suggestions and on the meetings and discussions bit
I to wish TB Council would have minutes for its meetings and more openness
about any discussions it has.

We are a open source project after all and even the Reps Council which Kent
refers to in his initial email keeps meeting minutes and recorded video (I
actually suggested this it used to be closed door too):
https://wiki.mozilla.org/ReMo/Meetings

I do think if council wants to stay on for another term thats great and I
have confidence in the council
and think Kent and all have done a great job to make Thunderbird more
active and get the ball
rolling on Mozilla adding some support and a financial home.

But elections and process are good and transparency is good and sticking to
commitments made
is good! FWIW only the people who went to Toronto which was not the entire
TB community
actually got to vote on the council so maybe having the entire community
vote to elect might
make sense for next elections if there are any.

On Thu, Nov 12, 2015 at 2:54 PM, JoeS <joesab2005 at gmail.com> wrote:

> If the current members on the council are willing to extend
> their term for one year, then I think we should have an
> ipso-facto vote for continuation.
>
> That could be done by a simple yay/nay post to tb-planning
> (If the original voters are not following TB-planning,
> then that's a disqualifies them for voting)
>
> That's my opinion as a community member that voted them in
> at the Toronto summit last year.
>
> If, however there is a significant change in the council,
> that is many members not willing to continue their rolls.
>
> Then we would have to have nominations, voting etc, by some
> means.
>
> I have confidence in the present council members.
> Although what meetings, discussions have taken place over
> the past year is a complete mystery to me, as there has
> not been any public disclosure AFAIK
>
> I think that a year from now the continuance of TB as a
> viable product will become clearer.
>
> The deprecation of XUL, and Infra support for instance.
>
> JoeS1
>

> On 11/12/2015 2:10 PM, R Kent James wrote:
>
> Originally we had planned to re-organize the council about once per year,
> and that year has now past.

Benjamin Kerensa