Reorganizing the Council

Benjamin Kerensa bkerensa at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 19:59:32 UTC 2015

 My feedback is that I believe the incoming council made a commitment iirc
I haven't actually reviewed the mailing list but made a commitment to
regular selections. It would not be very healthy for a sitting council to
decide whether it could discard that commitment that should be left to the
community to decide.

The problem I see generally with not having any defined election process is
it creates a BDFL model of governance or static governance which is
unhealthy in open source projects. More so if any contributors ever wanted
to be leaders it's unlikely they would challenge a entrenched incumbent
when there are no elections but instead when it would be left up to a
council.

Anyways these power structures and leadership status quos are not healthy
and prevent the flow of new ideas and new energy and new leadership.

I'm of the opinion in open source projects that governance councils should
be one or two year terms and have a limit of two terms.

Gnome, Fedora and many other projects have one year terms to keep their
leadership dynamic.

I'll add that from a module and peer pov static works better (not entirely
without flaw though) because they are technical leadership or meritocratic
roles.

I think if you look to projects that have static leadership they also tend
to have lower contributor rates overtime and I know TB doesn't want that.

Also I'm not familiar with reps council elections being mirred in
controversy could you explain that? I've been involved in reps since its
first council and never heard of anything controversial in the election
process.