Thunderbird 38 release expectations

R Kent James kent at caspia.com
Tue May 5 04:56:10 UTC 2015

Thunderbird 38.0 will not ship on the same date as Firefox 38.0 but will
likely be delayed a couple of weeks.

We are approaching the originally scheduled date of the release of
Thunderbird 38, which would be May 12 following the standard Mozilla
release calendar. But there are still a number of regressions that we
are working on, and last week's beta was the first beta that was feature
complete. That means we will not be ready to ship according to the
original schedule. A current estimate of when we will ship Thunderbird
38.0 is approximately May 26.

Until we are ready to ship a finished Thunderbird 38.0, we will continue
to ship betas of Thunderbird 38 to the beta channel.

We'll do a new beta of Thunderbird 38.0 this week. At this point
mozilla-esr38 has diverged from mozilla-release, and it is mozilla-esr38
that is the correct channel for us to follow. So we will do future betas
of Thunderbird 38 from comm-esr38 and mozilla-esr38 (on branch
THUNDERBIRD_38_VERBRANCH) unless there are unforeseen technical issues.

(Thunderbird 38.0 is a major release, that will be the successor to
Thunderbird 31 which is our current release).

Kent James
Chair, Thunderbird Council