Avocet branding - What do you think?

Robert Kaiser kairo at kairo.at
Mon Mar 30 13:46:02 UTC 2015

R Kent James schrieb:
> I'm getting a bit of pushback to my previously announced plans to use Avocet
> <http://monacoeye.com/birds/index_files/recurvirostra_avosetta_pied_avocet_08.jpg>
> and Bunting
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Painted_Bunting_by_Dan_Pancamo.jpg> as
> branding for Thunderbird releases 38 and 45. I'm curious - do I have any support
> for this, or do you think it's a bad idea? I would appreciate feedback, just
> reply with your attitude on a scale of 1-5 with 1 being "I hate it" and 5 being
> "I love it" (this is for the branding names, not for the graphics below).

I'm mostly an outside watcher here, but I mostly agree with what
Standard8 has posted.

That said, the name "Avocet" (which I never heard before the talk here)
reminds me too much on "Avocent" which is an existing software brand
that lots of IT admins will know, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avocent

I don't think we want a Thunderbird release being mistaken for a
different brand.

KaiRo