Avocet branding - What do you think?

Benjamin Kerensa bkerensa at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 09:02:46 UTC 2015

On Mar 30, 2015 1:09 AM, "Magnus Melin" <mkmelin+mozilla at iki.fi> wrote:

> I think there's a bit of a mixup on what has really been proposed. I was
under the impression it would be similar to Ubuntu naming, that you have
the release name in addition to the number. So it would be "Thunderbird 38
Avocet". Is that correct?

So I used to be on the Ubuntu Release Team and am still an Ubuntu
Contributing Developer. And the codenames are meant to be for internal
reference during the development cycle while the version number is the
final reference for public.

Also Ubuntu has had code names since day one.

I think adding codenames now might amount to bikeshedding.

> I have a hard time thinking of a place it would be appropriate to have
different graphics for the release, but I have nothing against using a name
in addition to the number. FWIW, I think we're well served to use the
numbers even if they do jump.

>  -Magnus
>

> On 29.3.2015 01:44, R Kent James wrote:
>>
>> I'm getting a bit of pushback to my previously announced plans to use
Avocet and Bunting as branding for Thunderbird releases 38 and 45. I'm
curious - do I have any support for this, or do you think it's a bad idea?
I would appreciate feedback, just reply with your attitude on a scale of
1-5 with 1 being "I hate it" and 5 being "I love it" (this is for the
branding names, not for the graphics below).

>> Briefly, the reasoning behind switching from Thunderbird 17/24/31/38/45
as major release branding to named versions using alphabetical bird names
is:

>> 1) Those numbers are meaningless to anyone who is not a gecko geek. They
was never intended as branding, it just accidentally resulted when we cut
back our release schedule to only use esr versions. Even Firefox is trying
to change this now (though we need not follow Firefox here). The existing
release branding is terrible.

>> 2) I want to counter the market sense that "Thunderbird is dead" with a
new message that we are alive and have an active community moving forward.
The last blog post was a first step, and generated a lot of discussion on
the internet.  A named release helps with that message, "38" does not.

>> 3) Why birds? Well we are a bird, and birds have interesting shapes and
coloration that make interesting graphics targets. As one concept for how
to use this, I asked Elio Qoshi to come up with a concept of a modified
logo that we could use when we are referring specifically to our next
release. This would not replace our current logo, only be used where the
release is being mentioned, such as blog posts, the about dialog, and start
page. Here it is (or see https://mesquilla.net/Thunderbird38Avocet-v4.jpg
if the inline image fails)  Note that the Pied Avocet, which is the
specific specie being depicted here, has a distinctive black and white
coloration:

>> R Kent James
>>
>> P. S. If you really hate it, see
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zb1qsVqjwg which was a major theme of my