Avocet branding - What do you think?

Mark Banner mbanner at mozilla.com
Mon Mar 30 07:27:05 UTC 2015

I'm not sure I like it. A few main things:

  * Changing artwork has the potential to cause brand confusion. What's
    the official logo(s) etc? As Martin also said, you then have to deal
    with trademarks for all the different logos you come up with.
  * As others had said, you'll get the "which release is latest"
    confusion in amongst users (who won't necessarily know/realising
    that you're doing alphabetic, which is probably also mainly an
    English-centric thing).
  * A text-string is just a version number but lacking information. Some
    news vendors will likely add the number anyway.
  * more below...

On 28/03/2015 23:44, R Kent James wrote:
> 2) I want to counter the market sense that "Thunderbird is dead" with
> a new message that we are alive and have an active community moving
> forward. The last blog post
> <https://blog.mozilla.org/thunderbird/2015/02/thunderbird-usage-continues-to-grow/>
> was a first step, and generated a lot of discussion on the internet.
> A named release helps with that message, "38" does not.
Releasing "Thunderbird Avocet" or "Thunderbird 38" don't actually do
anything to help counter "Thunderbird is dead" IMO - all it means is
that the releases have continued. What does help is "Thunderbird now
does <fancy new feature>" or "Thunderbird fixes big folders to work
smoothly and efficiently" or other similar headlines.

A new release is just that - it happens regularly, probably fixes some
bugs. A new feature, or focussed bug fixing, is what really counts
towards making headlines.

I think Firefox, Chrome and others have been trying to get away from
version numbers - or anything that represents version - as they've
realised the important bit for users is what's been improved. If you
look at the top few new reports for Chrome, none of the top ones mention
versions, for example "Google Adds Two New Features To Chrome To Improve
Page Load Times". You do seem to get version numbers against the
beta/early versions, but I think with today's tech press that is
inevitable (and we're never going to change tech press and the technical
folks wanting to know the numbers).

I don't think we're going to get rid of version numbers whatever we do.
The important bit is what comes with each release, and to stress that,
rather than just "here's a new version".

Mark