Avocet branding - What do you think?

Patrick Brunschwig patrick at enigmail.net
Sun Mar 29 11:45:23 UTC 2015

On 29.03.15 00:44, R Kent James wrote:
> I'm getting a bit of pushback to my previously announced plans to use
> Avocet
> <http://monacoeye.com/birds/index_files/recurvirostra_avosetta_pied_avocet_08.jpg>
> and Bunting
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Painted_Bunting_by_Dan_Pancamo.jpg>
> as branding for Thunderbird releases 38 and 45. I'm curious - do I have
> any support for this, or do you think it's a bad idea? I would
> appreciate feedback, just reply with your attitude on a scale of 1-5
> with 1 being "I hate it" and 5 being "I love it" (this is for the
> branding names, not for the graphics below).

I like the idea of working with code names. However, code names are
meaningless to people who are not familiar with the Thunderbird
development (just like my wife couldn't tell if Mac OS X Yosemite is
newer than Mavericks). I'm not saying that I like the current release
naming/numbering, but at least it's clear to most users that "31" is
newer (and thus better?) than "24".

But if you'd go for e.g. "Thunderbird 38 - Avocet" then you get a 4.75
from me.

-Patrick