Avocet branding - What do you think?

Benjamin Kerensa bkerensa at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 04:48:43 UTC 2015

On Sat, Mar 28, 2015 at 4:44 PM, R Kent James <kent at caspia.com> wrote:

>  I'm getting a bit of pushback to my previously announced plans to use
> Avocet
> <http://monacoeye.com/birds/index_files/recurvirostra_avosetta_pied_avocet_08.jpg>
> and Bunting
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Painted_Bunting_by_Dan_Pancamo.jpg> as
> branding for Thunderbird releases 38 and 45. I'm curious - do I have any
> support for this, or do you think it's a bad idea? I would appreciate
> feedback, just reply with your attitude on a scale of 1-5 with 1 being "I
> hate it" and 5 being "I love it" (this is for the branding names, not for
> the graphics below).

I will give it a 2.

> Briefly, the reasoning behind switching from Thunderbird 17/24/31/38/45 as
> major release branding to named versions using alphabetical bird names is:
>
> 1) Those numbers are meaningless to anyone who is not a gecko geek. They
> was never intended as branding, it just accidentally resulted when we cut
> back our release schedule to only use esr versions. Even Firefox is trying
> to change this now (though we need not follow Firefox here). The existing
> release branding is terrible.

I have never heard of any plans for Firefox to take up codenames for
mainline releases.

> 2) I want to counter the market sense that "Thunderbird is dead" with a
> new message that we are alive and have an active community moving forward.
> The last blog post
> <https://blog.mozilla.org/thunderbird/2015/02/thunderbird-usage-continues-to-grow/>
> was a first step, and generated a lot of discussion on the internet.  A
> named release helps with that message, "38" does not.

I don't know that branding is a good way to achieve this I think instead
doing more blog posts highlighting each release and how many changes are
going into them could achieve that? More marketing? We should have a booth
at OSCON as an example! Do you think we could crowdfund the cost for having
a banner and tablecloth made and maybe some swag? If so I could secure us a
booth very likely and would be happy to man it if someone else came down
and helped :)

> 3) Why birds? Well we are a bird, and birds have interesting shapes and
> coloration that make interesting graphics targets. As one concept for how
> to use this, I asked Elio Qoshi to come up with a concept of a modified
> logo that we could use when we are referring specifically to our next
> release. This would not replace our current logo, only be used where the
> release is being mentioned, such as blog posts, the about dialog, and start
> page. Here it is (or see https://mesquilla.net/Thunderbird38Avocet-v4.jpg
> if the inline image fails)  Note that the Pied Avocet, which is the
> specific specie being depicted here, has a distinctive black and white
> coloration
> <http://monacoeye.com/birds/index_files/recurvirostra_avosetta_pied_avocet_08.jpg>
> :

I do like the bird design though! Elio did a great job on it :)