Meeting with Mitchell (was Re: Softmaker Office)

R Kent James kent at caspia.com
Thu Mar 19 12:06:23 UTC 2015

I was able to secure earlier personal access to much of the ADI data for
Thunderbird, along with permission to publish summaries of that data as
appropriate. I blogged with some of those results earlier. That access
is now ongoing, so I will continue to report on specific aspects of the
data in the future, or can answer specific questions. Our friends in the
SeaMonkey project helped us get that access.

In general, Mozilla is not setup to allow broad access to volunteers to
corporate systems like ADI statistics. This is simply because it takes
additional effort to provide isolation of roles, and it has not been a
significant issue in the past. Generally we are in the process of slowly
getting access to various roles within Mozilla that we need to run the
Thunderbird project, but there is always some concern because these same
tools typically give us the power to make mistakes that could have huge
negative impacts on Firefox. For that reason they are cautious, and
rightfully so. Access to specific roles is likely to be limited to a few
people in most cases. It is not always the same people though, I only
have personal access to a few of the critical roles. We are making slow
progress on these permission issues, but overall satisfactory progress.
We need less and less staff intervention to ship Thunderbird releases,
for example.

So in short, permissions is an area that is proceeding adequately, and
is not likely to be a subject of my conversation with Mitchell.

:rkent

On 3/19/2015 3:42 AM, Tanstaafl wrote:
> Is getting access to the Thunderbird usage statistics on your list? ;)
>
> It would be very nice to be able to have something reasonably accurate
> that can be published.
>
> On 3/18/2015 2:29 PM, R Kent James <kent at caspia.com> wrote:
>> Just as a followup, I did manage to make this connection, so that I now
>> have a meeting scheduled with Mitchell Baker on Friday in the Bay Area.
>>
>> Kent James
>> Chair, Thunderbird Council.
>>
>> On 3/17/2015 10:31 AM, R Kent James wrote:
>>> I've been trying to get Mozilla management to talk to me about some of
>>> these issues, so far without success. We need to discuss:
>>>
>>> 1) Access to information about existing Thunderbird business
>>> relationships,
>>> 2) Where and how we can collect and spend donations, and