Softmaker Office

R Kent James kent at caspia.com
Tue Mar 17 17:31:12 UTC 2015

I've been discussing this with Martin of Softmaker for about a year, but
he did not want any information leaked earlier because it had a large
impact on his customers and existing business relationships. He
originally approached me because he was interested in including ExQuilla
with his office suite, but as we talked it became clear that his plans
were more important to Thunderbird than to ExQuilla, so I have been
primarily representing Thunderbird in discussions with him.

Parts of the Thunderbird UI were not to their liking, and partly at my
encouragement they will use an add-on to customize the user interface to
be more compatible with their office suite. That allows them to get what
they want, while ultimately being able to contribute positively to the
core program rather than a fork.

A developer has been working on the add-on for them for a number of
months, and has web/javascript skills typical of an addon author.
Softmaker says that once the developer is finished with their addon, he
will be available to the Thunderbird community for core projects. Based
on that background, I've encouraged them to consider taking on the
project of CardDav integration as an initial effort, as that is one of
the issues that was mentioned repeatedly as a shortcoming in responses
to my recent "Thunderbird is alive" blog post.

The developer has not yet been able to engage with the Thunderbird
community. Until that happens, and it is clear that this is likely to be
a long-lasting contribution, I don't want to make too much of the
promise of a full-time developer to Thunderbird. Yet the commitment of
Softmaker to use Thunderbird with their office suite does appear to be
real. As part of our current marketing message of growing momentum for
Thunderbird, that is the news that we should be promoting.

The future of Thunderbird relies on a mix of resources from a variety of
sources, including not only volunteers, but also donations, and
contributions from third parties such as SoftMaker. Other organizations
have also made significant contributions to Thunderbird over the years,
including Linagora and Mozilla Japan. It is important that we make their
interaction with the Thunderbird community to be a positive experience.
I'd like to see us give these organizations some positive exposure to
thank them for their contributions, but at the same time we don't want
to give them negative publicity if priorities change and they have to
change their commitment. So for that reason I would like to welcome
Softmaker to the Thunderbird community as a major use and promoter of
our product. I hope the developer works out, but I don't want to
denigrate Softmaker in any way if it does not.

I've been trying to get Mozilla management to talk to me about some of
these issues, so far without success. We need to discuss:

1) Access to information about existing Thunderbird business relationships,
2) Where and how we can collect and spend donations, and
3) How can we negotiate future business relationships, such as this
SoftMaker arrangement.

I'll be in the Bay Area this weekend, and I'm trying (so far without
success) to get an appointment with Mitchell on Friday. If anyone
reading this has any access to Mozilla management, I would really
appreciate you forwarding your concern to Mitchell about how important
it is that she meet with representatives of the Thunderbird Council to
discuss our relationship with Mozilla.

R Kent James