Bird names

R Kent James kent at caspia.com
Wed Mar 11 15:54:39 UTC 2015

On 3/11/2015 1:35 AM, Jörg Knobloch wrote:
> As English is my second language - despite living in Australia for 16
> years - I've never heard of these birds.
Actually the biggest problem we face is not that these names are too
unknown but that they are too known. If you decide to name your releases
after birds, and start with A, then Avocet is the obvious choice. We are
not the first software project to come to this conclusion. "Albatross"
and "Auklet" are also available, but much worse IMO. I have a bug filed
with Mozilla legal to see if they have any trademark objections to us
using these names.

Choosing birdnames is a classic bikeshedding issue, and please forgive
me but I refuse to participate in a big bikeshedding event over this.
I've been trying to take some responsibility for Thunderbird marketing,
and I've found very few other people interested in this issue. I think
that Thunderbird marketing is going rather well at the moment, with
Dave's recent Twitter posts at @mozthunderbird and my mozilla blog posts
doing a good job of communicating that we are not, in fact, dead. With
effort comes so degree of autonomy. Release naming is part of this
larger effort.

To me, I would like names that are unique, melodious, and free of
negative connotations. Distinctive coloration that could be used in
generating associated graphics is also important. The Pied Avocet has a
distinctive black and white pattern that will be very effective
graphically. I also like that this bird is primarily a Euroasian bird,
as that also reflects the current geography of Thunderbird.

For Bunting, the Painted Bunting has some of the most amazing coloration
of any bird, and will also be a great target for graphics designers. I
don't particularly like its limited North American geography, but its
spectacular coloration overcomes this weakness. There are other Bunting
varieties as well, but graphics potential leans me toward the Painted
Bunting.

If you want a back story (though this was not important in choosing the
name), try this from WIkipedia: "The avocet became extinct
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extinction> in Great Britain
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Britain> in 1840.^[6]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pied_avocet#cite_note-6> Its successful
recolonisation at Minsmere
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minsmere_RSPB_reserve>, Suffolk
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suffolk>, in 1947^[4]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pied_avocet#cite_note-BWP-4> led to its
adoption as the logo of the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Society_for_the_Protection_of_Birds>."

I think that a bird that went extinct and was re-introduced is a pretty
good symbol for a first release of a community-led Thunderbird.

:rkent