Bird names

Jörg Knobloch jorgk at jorgk.com
Wed Mar 11 14:31:08 UTC 2015

On 11/03/2015 14:44, Chris Ramsden wrote:
> Both birds are members of families represented throughout north
> america and much of europe and asia. They're hardly rare or scarce. I
> suspect your antipodean location make them appear unusual to you.

There is a misunderstanding. I used to live in Australia, now back in
Germany.

Sure we have avocets in Germany (Säbelschnäbler), those white birds who
poke their beak in the mud on the coast. We also have buntings (Ammer).
The point is: Non-native English speakers (and antipodean ones as well)
won't know these names. I guess 99.9% of Germans wouldn't know what an
"Ammer" is.

If you want "A" and "B", here's a list:
http://beautyofbirds.com/birdspeciesAB.htm

Jorg K.