The infamous Mozilla core editor

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Sun Mar 8 23:06:37 UTC 2015

The "obvious" solution is to prepend a UUID to every class within a
message, in the same way that MIME part separators are generated.

The downside is that everybody[tm] is not doing to trust that your
classes aren't going to leak outside your message, so they will defang
your classes by adding more to them as well. That's what we do at
FastMail to stop classes leaking. It's a mess.

The big advantage of just putting the font elements on everything is
that it's simple, and it works everywhere. Sadly, that's sometimes
better than perfect.

Bron.

On Sat, Mar 7, 2015, at 11:17 PM, Axel Grude wrote:
> Dear Bron,

      Of course I know these features all work via using <font> tags and
      other inline code, but the problem is if you want to define style
      (e.g. blue large headers) this is best implemented via CSS
      classes. One of the problems with CSS classes ist that they are in
      the global namespace which means that they may affect quotes
      material as well as follow on emails.

      One of my users has defined his reply texts to be in blue, however
      this also now affects my replies to him to also show up in blue.
      SO this is not a trivial request.

      on the other hand using font tags is not very efficient as you
      need to replicate your styles on each individual element /
      passage. The real trick is come up with a style / template
      strategy that is both robust (does not change its properties when
      quoted in another email) and easy to ise (such as predefined
      paragraph styles).

      As regards building better frontend for CSS this is a relatively
      easy task that I want to look into in the future; however the
      "persistent paragraph styles surviving the global namespace" has
      to be solved first. Ideally the CSS should be scoped to one
      quote-level only (also, the bug about the encoded child selector
      ">" within style tags is still open).

      regards,

      Axel

      --
> *Axel Grude[1]*

        Software Developer

        Thunderbird Add-ons Developer (QuickFolders, quickFilters,
        QuickPasswords, Zombie Keys, SmartTemplate4)

        AMO Editor Get Thunderbird!

>> *Subject:*
          Re: The infamous Mozilla core editor
>> *To:* tb-planning at mozilla.org *From: *Bron Gondwana *Sent: *Saturday,
>> 07/03/2015 04:25:29 04:25 GMT ST +0000
          [Week 9]
>> On Fri, Mar 6, 2015, at 07:24 PM, Aceman wrote:
>> > Is this actually a full featured editor with equivalent
        features to the code editor? At 11KB in size of JS, it looks to
        me it mainly allows text formatting.
>> > But what about images, tables, lists, indents?
>>
>>  * _Lists and indents work fine._
>>  * Image inclusion works
>>

>> You can even
>>  * create indented
>>    1. lists
>>    2. with numbers
>>    3. and stuff I'm not so sure about tables though...
>>
>> Certainly changing fonts is*definitely*
            supported.

>> > (Am sure somebody would like CSS insertion, but I am not
        sure that is in the base TB editor now).

>> I would have to ask Neil about
        that. It's pretty good about taking existing HTML and keeping it
        working in quoted messages too.