The infamous Mozilla core editor

Tanstaafl tanstaafl at libertytrek.org
Sun Mar 8 15:23:16 UTC 2015

On 3/7/2015 7:12 AM, Magnus Melin <mkmelin+mozilla at iki.fi> wrote:
> On 07.03.2015 07:27, Jörg Knobloch wrote:
>> For each module, identify a mentor who is willing to do the knowledge
>> transfer. We might find someone to do the work, but I think it's
>> wishful thinking to find someone who will first "reverse engineer" the
>> code and then do the work.

> For the knowledge transfer is to occur you have to know what questions
> to ask, which is the tricky part.
> I think people are generally happy to answer specific questions if they
> happen to know or it's quick for them to find out - but given the size
> of the codebase you are sometimes out of luck.

One thing that I think would help dramatically is if those who *do* have
critical and intimate knowledge of some of these modules - especially
the trickier ones like the editor - could write up a wiki page/article
basically outlining and walking potential contributors through a) its
current state - ie, does it need to be ripped out and totally replaced
(like the editor and the Address Book backend), or just get some funky
bugs fixed) and b) what it will take to do this work.

Then the comments page could be used to track and document the progress
for any work being done...