The infamous Mozilla core editor

Ehsan Akhgari ehsan.akhgari at gmail.com
Sat Mar 7 17:16:47 UTC 2015

On 2015-03-07 12:27 AM, Jörg Knobloch wrote:
> On 6/03/2015 20:11, Ehsan Akhgari wrote:
>> The right conversation to have, IMHO, is to find contributors who are
>> willing to work on this code and help maintain it.
>
> This is a very good idea. I think in order to go ahead with this, we
> need to do the following:
>
> Identify the modules that require new contributors. One, the editor, we
> already have.
>
> For each module, identify a mentor who is willing to do the knowledge
> transfer. We might find someone to do the work, but I think it's wishful
> thinking to find someone who will first "reverse engineer" the code and
> then do the work. At least that would be beyond my frustration level.
> Also, such a mentor would need to be available on a predictable
> timetable. Personally, I have the feeling that developing in Mozilla is
> like playing simultaneous chess. One makes a move, then one waits for an
> indefinite amount of time until the master returns. People willing to
> take on difficult tasks need to be eager and having to wait for answers
> will frustrate and drive them away. Maybe that's why the editor is where
> it is.

No, it is where it is because we have no contributor who is willing to
work on it, and it's been in this stage for years.  It's true that it's
pretty old and crufty code, but a lot of these problems are fixable with
enough time and effort.

Trying to find a mentor before finding a contributor is putting the cart
before the horse.  But at any rate, I'd be happy to mentor whoever who
comes along and wants to work on this code.