The infamous Mozilla core editor

Axel Grude axel.grude at gmail.com
Sat Mar 7 12:17:34 UTC 2015

Dear Bron,

Of course I know these features all work via using <font> tags and other inline code,
but the problem is if you want to define style (e.g. blue large headers) this is best
implemented via CSS classes. One of the problems with CSS classes ist that they are in
the global namespace which means that they may affect quotes material as well as
follow on emails.

One of my users has defined his reply texts to be in blue, however this also now
affects my replies to him to also show up in blue. SO this is not a trivial request.

on the other hand using font tags is not very efficient as you need to replicate your
styles on each individual element / passage. The real trick is come up with a style /
template strategy that is both robust (does not change its properties when quoted in
another email) and easy to ise (such as predefined paragraph styles).

As regards building better frontend for CSS this is a relatively easy task that I want
to look into in the future; however the "persistent paragraph styles surviving the
global namespace" has to be solved first. Ideally the CSS should be scoped to one
quote-level only (also, the bug about the encoded child selector ">" within style tags
is still open).

regards,
   Axel

Software Developer