The infamous Mozilla core editor

Magnus Melin mkmelin+mozilla at iki.fi
Sat Mar 7 12:12:41 UTC 2015

On 07.03.2015 07:27, Jörg Knobloch wrote:
>> The right conversation to have, IMHO, is to find contributors who are
>> willing to work on this code and help maintain it.
>
> This is a very good idea. I think in order to go ahead with this, we
> need to do the following:
>
> Identify the modules that require new contributors. One, the editor,
> we already have.

Which modules don't require new contributors? If it wasn't obvious for
everybody on this list, Thunderbird (and Mozilla in general) welcomes
any contributors. There's lots of ways to help:

  * submit patches
  * test nightly builds and report what's possibly broken, verify the
things recently fixed actually works correctly. nightlies are here:
<http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/thunderbird/nightly/latest-comm-central/>
  * help with bug triage (here's the bugs filed the last week -
<https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/buglist.cgi?list_id=12070984&resolution=---&resolution=FIXED&resolution=DUPLICATE&chfieldto=Now&chfield=[Bug%20creation]&query_format=advanced&chfieldfrom=-7d&product=MailNews%20Core&product=Thunderbird>)
  * help in support forums
  * help with design

> For each module, identify a mentor who is willing to do the knowledge
> transfer. We might find someone to do the work, but I think it's
> wishful thinking to find someone who will first "reverse engineer" the
> code and then do the work.

For the knowledge transfer is to occur you have to know what questions
to ask, which is the tricky part.
I think people are generally happy to answer specific questions if they
happen to know or it's quick for them to find out - but given the size
of the codebase you are sometimes out of luck.

  -Magnus