The infamous Mozilla core editor

Jörg Knobloch jorgk at jorgk.com
Sat Mar 7 05:27:11 UTC 2015

On 6/03/2015 20:11, Ehsan Akhgari wrote:
> The right conversation to have, IMHO, is to find contributors who are
> willing to work on this code and help maintain it.

This is a very good idea. I think in order to go ahead with this, we
need to do the following:

Identify the modules that require new contributors. One, the editor, we
already have.

For each module, identify a mentor who is willing to do the knowledge
transfer. We might find someone to do the work, but I think it's wishful
thinking to find someone who will first "reverse engineer" the code and
then do the work. At least that would be beyond my frustration level.
Also, such a mentor would need to be available on a predictable
timetable. Personally, I have the feeling that developing in Mozilla is
like playing simultaneous chess. One makes a move, then one waits for an
indefinite amount of time until the master returns. People willing to
take on difficult tasks need to be eager and having to wait for answers
will frustrate and drive them away. Maybe that's why the editor is where
it is.

Anyway, my humble opinion.

Jorg K.