The infamous Mozilla core editor

Joshua Cranmer 🐧 pidgeot18 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 20:44:04 UTC 2015

On 3/6/2015 8:58 AM, Tanstaafl wrote:
> Well... I would challenge that at least. Outlook is one of the worst
> when it comes to composing and rendering HTML email, due to its reliance
> on a totally crippled HTML rendering engine (Word).

I recall reading somewhere that the HTML rendering engine in Word was
the same one used in IE 5.5.
> Why Microsoft decided to switch from IE to Word for the HTML rendering
> in Outlook is just something I (and millions of other folks) will never
> understand. The only rational reason I can think of is some kind of
> misguided attempt to motivate Outlook users to buy Office (or at least
> Word).

Outlook uses the Word engine to compose the messages, so using a
different engine to render it would present inconsistencies,
particularly given the ... poor HTML support in Word. Word's HTML
support is probably difficult to update, since it would raise howls of
protest from people whose saved documents mysteriously "corrupted"
themselves (i.e., rendered differently, and not in a good way).

Joshua Cranmer
Thunderbird and DXR developer
Source code archæologist