The infamous Mozilla core editor

Ehsan Akhgari ehsan.akhgari at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 13:41:34 UTC 2015

On 2015-03-06 1:15 AM, Jörg Knobloch wrote:
> P.S.: As Ehsan explained: The editor has two modes, the simple text mode
> which is used for - dare I say without being able to supply statistics -
> most text entry fields on the web, and the HTML mode used by Thunderbird
> and on rare occasions also elsewhere. I personally have not seen any
> website using it, although Ehsan once said he noticed an editor bug when
> using Gmail.

It's not as rarely used as you think.  Basically anywhere you type in
text or rich text into any thing rendered by any Mozilla based
application, you're most likely using the editor component in Gecko.
This includes UI for things such as webmail software, blog editing
platforms, little text boxes on web pages, the text boxes in the
application's UI, etc.