Mozilla's *Really* Important News: Thunderbird Lives - Open Enterprise - ComputerworldUK

R Kent James kent at caspia.com
Thu Mar 5 23:19:40 UTC 2015

On 3/5/2015 11:08 AM, Benjamin Kerensa wrote:

> Looks like the press somehow got the idea that Mozilla backpedaled on
> its 2012 announcement and is actively developing TB again.
>
> http://mobile.computerworlduk.com/blogs/open-enterprise/thunderbird-3600338/

It's funny that Mozilla picked up on "Thunderbird lives" as inaccurate
reporting, when the most important part of the Computer World UK blog
post was in fact trying to encourage Mozilla to put more resources into
Thunderbird. This is difficult for Mozilla to read:

"In terms of Firefox phones, Orange announced that it would be bringing
phones running Firefox OS to 13 markets in Africa and the Middle East
... some of those phones will be sold in the US, marking an important
new stage in the Firefox OS stategy. However, Mozilla also made an
earlier announcement
<https://blog.mozilla.org/thunderbird/2015/02/thunderbird-usage-continues-to-grow/>
- not at MWC - that I think is much more important for various reasons:

/We’re happy to report that Thunderbird usage continues to expand."
/

The fact that major voices in the blogosphere are actively encouraging
Mozilla to take Thunderbird more seriously is much more important news
here, rather than trying to parse the subtlety of exactly how much
official Mozilla support is implied by "it confirms that Mozilla is now
actively developing its standalone email client Thunderbird." See also
https://medium.com/@trog/forgetting-firefox-c04dba853263

:rkent