Thunderbird usage report

R Kent James kent at caspia.com
Tue Mar 3 16:59:10 UTC 2015

I'd suggest anyone interested in Thunderbird read some of the response
threads that have occurred at various internet locations in response to
this post.

Here's a few suggested links:

Twitter:
https://twitter.com/search?q=https%3A%2F%2Fblog.mozilla.org%2Fthunderbird%2F2015%2F02%2Fthunderbird-usage-continues-to-grow%2F

Phoronix:
http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?114722-Mozilla-Thunderbird-Adoption-Climbs-Thunderbird-38-In-May

HackerNews: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=9123702

Reddit:
http://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/2xhgti/thunderbird_usage_continues_to_grow/

GHacks:
http://www.ghacks.net/2015/03/01/the-state-of-the-desktop-email-client-thunderbird/

This is also the interesting
https://medium.com/@trog/forgetting-firefox-c04dba853263 with this quote
"Mozilla has already done more for groupware than just about anyone,
simply by the existence of Thunderbird in the state it is in today.
(Lightning, their calendar application/extension is also a Big Deal.)"

Or just do a web search for "thunderbird usage continues to grow" and
you'll get lots of hits of ongoing discussions.

If anyone felt like doing a project, I would be very interested in an
attempt to collect and categorize the responses we have seen. I've read
a number of consistent themes, but it would be great to try to
systematically understand what people are saying. Some common themes:

"What? I thought Thunderbird was dead!", maildir, multiline thread pane,
carddav, exchange, pgp, too much memory, great for multiple accounts.

:rkent