Fwd: Recent Experience with people misrepresenting themselves as official Thunderbird

Dave Koelmeyer dave.koelmeyer at davekoelmeyer.co.nz
Fri Jun 19 01:02:33 UTC 2015

On 19/06/15 03:13, Jörg Knobloch wrote:
> There is nothing wrong with providing support for Mozilla products on
> a commercial basis.
>
> The SUMO article is rather misleading
> https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/avoid-and-report-mozilla-tech-support-scams
>

> It states:
> Common technical support scams:
>   Companies that charge you for installing Firefox or Thunderbird.
>   Companies that charge you for fixing or updating Firefox or
> Thunderbird.
>
> This statement is simply wrong and has gone to far.
>
> Please explain what is wrong with entering a contract with someone who
> needs Firefox or Thunderbird support and charging for the services
> supplied?

As someone who runs a business providing /precisely this/ for
Thunderbird (amongst other FOSS products), I agree with Jörg.
Specifically (referring to the article in its present state) the first
paragraph (/"Companies that ask for payment or personal information for
installing, updating or providing support for Firefox or Thunderbird are
not affiliated with Mozilla and should be avoided."/), and bullet points
two and three. When I have a moment I'll suggest some rewording to be
helpful.

Cheers,
Dave

--