Fwd: Recent Experience with people misrepresenting themselves as official Thunderbird

Jörg Knobloch jorgk at jorgk.com
Thu Jun 18 15:13:35 UTC 2015

On 18/06/2015 15:56, Philipp Kewisch wrote:
> I don't know if its a good idea to call out "Tech Help Experts"
> specifically.

+1, it's a really bad idea, see below.

I can't judge the merits of the individual case brought forward by Wes
Holmes/Phyllis Holmes. Please keep in mind that to judge a case, you'd
have to hear both parties. Sadly, I have to doubt the words of the
original complainer, who was NOT contacted by a scammer, but contacted
"Mozilla" himself. Obviously this person does not understand what
Mozilla is, and that they cannot be contacted on the phone. And who
knows whether he contacted "Tech Help Expert*s" (as he repeatedly
stated) or "Tech Help Expert".

It seems to me that "Tech Help Expert" (http://www.techhelpexpert.com/)
are is a business providing support services. There is nothing wrong
with providing support for Mozilla products on a commercial basis.

The SUMO article is rather misleading
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/avoid-and-report-mozilla-tech-support-scams

It states:
Common technical support scams:
   Companies that charge you for installing Firefox or Thunderbird.
   Companies that charge you for fixing or updating Firefox or Thunderbird.

This statement is simply wrong and has gone to far.

Please explain what is wrong with entering a contract with someone who
needs Firefox or Thunderbird support and charging for the services
supplied? Say someone has a problem installing or upgrading Mozilla
software, what is wrong providing paid support to such a person? I don't
even want to mention all the problems that can occur in Thunderbird when
mail needs to be imported, mailboxes get corrupted or e-mail gets
accidentally deleted. Most non-technically minded people won't be able
to solve these problems, not even with the help of SUMO. Many people are
prepared to pay to get an immediate solution and have no inclination to
find a solution in a support forum.

Like in any market, there may be poorly skilled or even fraudulent
operators. However, that does not warrant such a blanket statement.

The article should focus on companies pretending to represent Mozilla or
to be affiliated with Mozilla, not on those who provide genuine
services. If I were the CEO of "Tech Help Expert", I'd sue Mozilla over
the statement that my company should be "avoided".

Please revise the article accordingly.

Jorg K.