Fwd: Recent Experience with people misrepresenting themselves asofficial Thunderbird

R Kent James kent at caspia.com
Wed Jun 17 14:48:24 UTC 2015

Computer support is like car repair, everyone needs it but sometimes
things don't go well, and customers go away convinced that the repair
people are crooks (and some probably are). I would not be surprised that
Mozilla has had difficult experiences with this in the past. I am sure
that it is enormously challenging to maintain a "feel good" brand name
and offer support at the same time. Many users have unrealistic
expectations about how much support costs.

But so many users are desperate. Any time I do a blog posting on the
Thunderbird blog, lots of comments come in that are really support
requests. There is a clear need, and I don't think that we should let
the unfortunate fact that a minority of users will badmouth support
deter us from pursuing what is in the best interest of a certain segment
of our user population. A significant portion of our users are expecting
a professional messaging application, and are willing to pay the costs
of that.

I don't have any bandwidth at the moment to pursue this unfortunately.

:rkent